Graduate Quantity Surveyor
Willis Construction Ltd, established in 1986, has built a reputation as a trusted builder specialising in New Build, Major Refurbishment, Planned Maintenance, and Insurance Claims Repairs. Our focus on sustainability, safety, and high-quality work has helped us establish a strong presence in the South Wales Construction industry.
Our mission is to cultivate a space where our employees can thrive and achieve success. We foster an environment of openness and inclusivity, where all are embraced, and our team members are empowered to realise their fullest potential.
We are looking for enthusiastic and aspiring Quantity Surveyor to join our established Commercial Team working on a diverse range of projects.
To assist in managing the commercial resources of the assigned projects, under the direction of a Senior Quantity Surveyor, in order to maximise forecast gross margin through the placement and control of contracts and subcontracts and to assess, review and mitigate commercial and contractual risks through the implementation of Willis Construction's policies for risk management.
Training and Guidance will be provided to support Graduates undertaking this role. Upon commencement of the position, a CPD Plan will be put in place for the successful candidate.
1. To carry out measurement (including quality) and valuation of work, and the invoicing of clients and payment and control of subcontractors in order to maximise cash flow.
2. To carry out all aspects of subcontract procurement to include issuing enquiries, tender evaluation, negotiation of contract terms, chairing Pre-let meetings and placement of orders, all in accordance with Jehu’s commercial procedures and standard terms.
3. Management of subcontractor accounts, management and control of changes, valuing and processing payments and in liaison with other team members, monitoring subcontractor delivery and performance.
Assessment and agreement of subcontractor variations and agreement of final accounts.
4. Preparation and agreement of main contract quotations
5. Final account negotiation and agreement with client representatives
6. Administration of the main contract by understanding and abiding by contractual obligations. Administration
of contract documentation including RFI’s, collateral warranties and insurance requirements.
7. To assist and contribute to the preparation of cost/value reconciliations for each project and presenting the
figures to senior management and directors on a monthly basis
8. Preparation of cash flow and turnover forecasts and updating them on a monthly basis
9. Preparation and tracking of project Preliminary costs
10.To promote Willis Construction’s values towards its customers in order to meet or exceed their expectations
Working relationships & contacts
· Reporting to the Commercial Director and Senior QS.
· Working closely with a project production team consisting of Finishing Foreman, Site Managers, Contract Manager and Social Value Team.
· You will be assisted by a technical team consisting of Design Manager and Design & Commercial Co-ordinator..
· Client liaison
· Design Consultants
· Subcontractors and Suppliers
To assist the Senior QS with the commercial responsibility for two projects which could be valued between £1m and £7m or one project over £7m. Number of projects would depend upon size and complexity.
Willis Construction is very diverse in the nature of the construction project undertaken, which for example could be social housing/apartments, office buildings, retail/pub refurbishments, school extensions & refurbishments, medical facilities, university facilities & accommodation etc.
Whilst the vast majority of work is in South Wales there may be a need to travel.
Person Specification & Qualifications
· Minimum Qualification of HNC/HND in Construction/Civil Engineering
· Strong Project Management skills
· Attention to detail
· Excellent IT skills
· Good working knowledge of excel formulas and spreadsheets
· Excellent organiser with proven time management skills
· Good knowledge of contract conditions and law within the Construction Industry
· Knowledge of forms of contracts but specifically JCT D&B would be an advantage
· Sound construction and technical knowledge
· Excellent negotiating skills
· Experience of working collaboratively with supply chain
· Commercially aware
· Team Player
· Good problem solving skills
· Seeks opportunities to improve on provided information for commercial or practical benefit.
· Works in a proactive manner to build client relationships and is responsive to customer needs
· Strong numeracy skills